Team Leader - NCS
Colchester United Football in the Community, CO2 9BG
Contractual type: Sessional
Service type: NCS
Salary: £11 p/h
Department: National Citizens Service (NCS)
Colchester United's Football in the Community (CUFITC) is the official charity partner for Colchester United Football Club. We provide high quality sports and education programmes to 8,500 children, young people and adults from across the region each week.
CUFITC are also a proud delivery partner for NCS (National Citizens Service) and have been for the past four years. We take great pride in promoting equal opportunities for all young people and allowing them to have not only the freedom of speech, but to experience real life situations and to promote a positive impact on their community.
Would you like to make a difference in your local community? Are you passionate about giving opportunities to people to positively impact their lives?
CUFITC are looking to appoint a NCS Team Leader, this exciting opportunity provides a highly motivated and dynamic individual to join a progressive team.
Position: NCS Team Leader
Location: Shrub End Community and Sport Centre, Boadicea Way, Colchester, C02 9BG
Reporting to: Community Development Manager
Contract Type: Seasonal
Position dates and times:
Monday 25th October- Saturday 30th October 8:30am- 15:30pm (Subject to change)
Monday 1st November- Saturday 6th November 16:45- 20:00pm (Subject to change)
Salary: £11 p/h
*Please be aware we recruit in an ongoing process, once places are full we will close the job adds. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible to ensure you will be considered.*
We are looking for dynamic and passionate people to join our NCS team this Autumn. You will be an organised and confident person, able to engage and support a group of up to 16 young people aged 15 to 17 through an intensive two week programme local skills workshops, social action activities and possibly residential trips away from home.
● Week 1: This week is split into three days of off-site adrenaline activities and 3 days e full-time days focussing on delivering skills building workshops focussed around employability, confidence, public speaking etc.
● Week 2: A minimum of thirty (30) hours of activity. This week is delivered on a part time basis and takes place over six days. Young people work as a team to design and deliver a project which benefits their local community utilising skills they’ve gained.
*Options to work more than one programme are available.
* Once you are a staff member on our books you are first in line for additional work opportunities, such as skills booster and future programmes.
As part of the role you will need to encourage, motivate and inspire teams to make the most of their NCS experience and help them to develop transferable skills for their future. Your main duties will include:
● Supporting, encouraging and motivating a team of sixteen young people to complete all phases of the NCS programme
● Assisting the NCS Programme Wave Leader to ensure all safeguarding, data handling and health & safety requirements are in place to protect NCS participants and staff.
● Engaging and building positive relationships with young people and their parent/carers
● Working with the NCS staff team to deal with challenging behaviour from young people.
● Ensuring programme content is relevant to the local community and builds on existing relationships with partner individuals and organisations
● Assisting in ensuring in-kind funding opportunities are maximised
● Leading in delivering ice breaker activities to young people at keep warm events prior to going on the programme.
● A-levels or equivalent (Essential)
● Knowledge of the NCS programme (Desirable)
● An understanding of Health and Safety, Safeguarding and data handling practices (Essential)
● Understanding of local community needs (Essential)
● Experience and understanding of the issues affecting young people (Essential)
● Ability to work on your own initiative to an agreed action plan (Essential)
● Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy (Essential)
● Able to work within a flexible timetable and to commit to at least one 2 or 4-week programme (Essential)
● Level of DBS Disclosure required: Enhanced, you will be asked to complete a self-disclose form and to agree to our safeguarding policy
● Reports to: Wave Leader / Programme Lead
● Interview Date: TBC
Unless otherwise stated, interviews will be arranged as suitable candidates are identified, so early application is strongly advised.