Contract Type: Permanent requiring flexibility to work evenings and weekends
Report To: Head of Sports Science and Medicine and Academy Manager.
Details of Position:
Colchester United Football Club are looking for a dynamic and driven individual to join and lead the Academy Sports Science department. The successful candidate will be responsible for the Academy Sports Science program from Under 9’s – 23’s.
The post holder’s role will entail:
- Ensure the department’s philosophy is being adhered to with objectives being met.
- Lead and manage the Sports Science Academy program to all academy age groups from under 9-23’s.
- Assist Head of Sports Science when required and ensure player pathway from a physical development perspective from under 23’s to first team level.
- Plan and deliver fitness testing, gym testing, movement screens, and maturational monitoring across all FP, YDP, and PDP academy age groups throughout the season.
- Ensure the implementation of data monitoring systems (Catapult) from Under 16-23’s in order to analyse training and match loads. Feedback given to coaches daily, regarding physical training objectives.
- Produce and lead a comprehensive strength and conditioning program to all players within the FP, YDP, and PDP.
- Provide sports science support to under 23’s players, including prehab sessions, warm ups, and athletic development sessions.
- Ensure wellness is carried out daily and body fats are recorded every month for under 23’s players.
- Deliver sessions to under 9-16’s in order to improve athletic development.
- Be responsible for organising 12 weekly department reviews, alongside the academy physiotherapists.
- Provide athletic development feedback to all academy staff in the 12 week reviews.
- Plan and deliver CPD to coaches, parents and players regarding key areas in sports science.
- Ensure all data is recorded using the PMA.
- Provide nutritional education to academy players when required.
- Manage academy sports science interns throughout the season, providing continued support and guidance.
The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate experience working within the strength and conditioning/sports science field, which is in line with the club’s current long term Athletic Development programme. They must be passionate about creating a fun but effective learning environment.
As a minimum requirement, the candidate must possess a Masters degree in Sport Science or Strength and Conditioning.
Preferred requirements are working towards completing their UKSCA or BASES accreditation, hold I.S.A.K qualification, emergency first aid, safeguarding and an up to date DBS check. All staff must be aware of all safeguarding and equity and diversity issues, along with all academy and club policies, rules and regulations. The successful candidate will need to possess the capacity to lead and manage a team, and be competent working with Microsoft Word and Excel. They will need to be highly motivated, self-driven, professional at all times and be able to use their initiative when dealing with certain scenarios. They must also have previous experience of delivering functional physical development programmes to elite athletes and/or young people (Under 18’s), preferably in football.
Candidates will need to hold a full UK driving license.
Salary: £23,000 per annum